Music teacher says he touched students because he's Italian - CBS 5 - KPHO

Music teacher says he touched students because he's Italian

Posted: Updated:
Bruce Connery was scheduled to face a judge Wednesday. (Monroe police photo) Bruce Connery was scheduled to face a judge Wednesday. (Monroe police photo)
MONROE, CT (WFSB) -

A music teacher from Monroe, who is accused of inappropriately touching two students, blamed his behavior on being Italian, according to court records. 

According to his Facebook page, 68-year-old Bruce Connery, taught private piano lessons for 14 years and had been working for the Connecticut Music Educators Association.

"We had a 10-year-old that spoke with her parents and said she was being inappropriately touched by Mr. Connery, and then later on in the investigation, a 15-year-old, her family came forward with the same thing," Monroe police Lt. Brian McCauley previously told Eyewitness News.

They said Connery had been visiting homes to conduct music lessons.

According to the affidavit obtained by Eyewitness News, one of his alleged victims told police, "as the lessons progressed, he would 'shake and rub' her breasts under her shirt and bra."

During one of their last lessons, the 15-year-old victim told police "Connery would touch her 'butt' and slowly move to the front 'inching his hands.'" 

To try and prevent the alleged advances, the victim allegedly tried wearing jackets, so that he wouldn't be able to get under her shirts so easily.

"Unfortunately wearing multiple jackets was not a deterrence for Connery, as he would go underneath the jackets (and) touch her," according to the affidavit.

After each session, Connery allegedly justified his bizarre behavior on his culture. He told his teenage victim "sorry Italians are very hands on people."

The affidavit says the other alleged victim, who is 10 years old, told police Connery inappropriately touched her on her back on more than one occasion.

Connery was arrested last week and charged with a count of fourth-degree sexual assault and two counts of risk of injury to a minor.

Eyewitness News did reach out to Connery's attorney Wednesday afternoon, but he did not return the call.

Connery was arraigned in Bridgeport Superior Court on Wednesday. He is expected to be back in court next week to answer to those charges.

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
CBS 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation), Phoenix, AZ and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..