Propane explosion reported at former bar in Meriden - CBS 5 - KPHO

Propane explosion reported at former bar in Meriden

Posted: Updated:
MERIDEN, CT (WFSB) -

A propane tank exploded while crews were working at a vacant bar in Meriden on Wednesday evening, authorities said. 

The fire was reported in the area of the former Rosie's Cafe in the 100 block of Camp Street at about 6 p.m. Neighbors reported seeing flames shoot several feet into the air.

"I heard the bang at work, and then I ran home to check on my brothers and them. And I saw the fire and everything and just started recording," said Tyler Doyle of Meriden.

Authorities said the crews were working on the roof of the vacant building when they lit a 20-pound tank that exploded.

"Roofers were using propane tanks to heat the tar and there was a small explosion," said Assistant Fire Chief Russ Donovan. "No injuries, workers were able to get off the roof."

Donovan said crews were able to get the flames under control before they jumped to nearby houses.

"We were worried about how many personnel were working on the roof, how much propane was on the roof," he said.

They were still investigating the incident.

After looking at video of the flames, Doyle said it could have been much worse, "the fire and how high it was and all the ambulances and everything pulling up," he said.

Donovan said it was unclear when the workers could resume their work on the roof.

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Powered by WorldNow
CBS 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation), Phoenix, AZ and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..