Two firefighters were injured while fighting a fire inside a Monson home that had a stockpile of ammunition.
The fire was reported about 6:15 a.m. Sunday and crews battled the blaze at 1 Whitney Ave. until about 11:30 a.m., according to Monson Fire Chief Laurent McDonald.
One firefighter suffered an injury to the eye and the other was treated for dizziness due to over exertion, McDonald said. The two-alarm fire was caused by an electrical wiring malfunction, he said.
"There were issues with access. We had a hydrant that was out of service so we had to regroup to get water," McDonald said. "We had to go from an offensive of posture to a defensive posture due to the amount of munitions that were going off inside."
The owner of the home had munitions, including shotgun shells and, .22-caliber bullets on the second story of the home, McDonald said.
"They were popping off. Once they became involved we had to back out, into an exterior operation," McDonald said, adding that the fire had been burning for approximately 40 minutes prior to the owner noticing it and reporting it.
To make matters worse, there were tanks of refrigerant inside the home that could have been hazardous if they were heated up, McDonald said. They did not contribute to the fire, but were a dangerous element, he said.
Two propane tanks were disconnected and moved as a matter of concern, according to McDonald. All fire crews were back at the station by 1 p.m.
Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
For some, it may be hard to believe that nine years have passed since Hurricane Katrina made landfall and left major devastation in Louisiana and Mississippi. Most people will never forget where theyMore >
Friday marks nine years since Hurricane Katrina made landfall, causing major devastation in Louisiana and Mississippi.More >