Milford town residents have overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to build a $1 billion casino, further trimming the field of potential candidates for the state's first regional resort casino licenses.
The town clerk's office said Tuesday night the complete unofficial totals were 6,361 votes against it, and 3,480 votes in favor. Turnout, expected to be heavy, was 57 percent.
The group Crossroads Massachusetts had proposed a casino off Interstate 495 that would have been managed by Connecticut casino operator Foxwoods.
Opinion was sharply divided in the town of about 27,000. Opponents warned of traffic jams and reduced property values. Supporters touted jobs and new revenue.
Foxwoods President and CEO, Scott Butera
"We respect the choice Milford voters made today," said Scott Butera, Foxwoods President and CEO. "Throughout this process we've gotten to know Milford and thousands of its residents. While we worked hard to offer a resort casino we believe would benefit the area, the town made a decision similar to many other communities across the state. Though the outcome isn't what we hoped for, we have a high regard for the residents of Milford and will part ways having learned from the experience. We invite everyone to come visit Foxwoods in Connecticut."
The Milford result is the latest setback in Massachusetts for backers of large-scale casinos. It follows votes earlier this month against Mohegan Sun in Palmer and Suffolk Downs in East Boston.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.