the Rural Metro Fire Station in Carefree. (Source: CBS 5 News)
CAREFREE, AZ (CBS5) -
Firefighters at the Rural Metro Fire Station in Carefree received a scare Saturday after a Kiwanis Club member brought them a grenade a found in a box of household items.
Crews cleared the Rural Metro Fire Station at 37401 N. Tom Darlington in Carefree and notified the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office to examine the device.
Results of an X-ray were inconclusive and the suspicious device was taken to a safe location to further analyze the possible threat, said MCSO spokesman Christopher Hegstrom.
Authorities determined the device contained some form of flash or black powder, Hegstrom said. The device was found to be safe.
The grenade was given to the individual by a friend who moved to another state and wanted to donate a box full of household goods to the Kiwanis Club, Hegstrom said. The grenade was found in that box of household items.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:32 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:32:43 GMT
Phoenix city leaders are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst as a new flash flood watch is posted for mid-week.More >
A rainbow over the Superstition Mountains late Monday afternoon sets the stage for some significant changes to come. A flash flood watch is in effect in advance of abundant tropical moisture headed this way. More >
Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:01 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:01:09 GMT
A sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys.More >
CBS 5 News sent a sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys, a black mold that can produce toxic spores.More >