A man was found hiding in a tree after police investigated an alarm at a coffee shop in Middletown early Friday morning.
The Middletown Division of Police responded to an alarm at Java Johnny's Coffee Shop on 3534 Central Avenue around 1:15 a.m.
Investigators say that a person entered the building from the roof and came down from the ceiling, which set off a alarm. When the alarm went off, the suspect fled on foot.
Officers initiated a search with a K9 canine that began westbound from the Coffee Shop. The trail led officers through several backyards and privacy fences in the 3400 block of Central Avenue.
A back cover of a cell phone and number of tools were found in the yards during the search. Police say that 34-year-old James Robert Stevens was found hiding at least 20 feet up in a tree in the rear of 3330 Central Avenue.
Police were able to identify Stevens by the screensaver of his cell phone, which was recovered inside the Coffee Shop. Stevens was found to have outstanding felony warrants for Illegal Manufacture of Drugs and Illegal Assembly of Chemicals.
Police put Stevens under arrest and charged him with Breaking and Entering. At this time, police say that nothing was taken from the business.
Stevens is being held at the Middletown City Jail and will appear in Middletown Municipal Court at 9:00 a.m.
Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:32 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:32:43 GMT
Phoenix city leaders are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst as a new flash flood watch is posted for mid-week.More >
A rainbow over the Superstition Mountains late Monday afternoon sets the stage for some significant changes to come. A flash flood watch is in effect in advance of abundant tropical moisture headed this way. More >
Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:01 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:01:09 GMT
A sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys.More >
CBS 5 News sent a sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys, a black mold that can produce toxic spores.More >