The Hendersonville building once rented by the funeral home. (Mar. 19, 2013/FOX Carolina)
HENDERSONVILLE, NC (AP/FOX Carolina) -
A Hendersonville man said he's still grieving his father's death two months later, and it's only getting worse because his father's ashes are missing.
Hendersonville police said South Park Funeral Home was shut down and told to leave the property they were renting as part of a state investigation, keeping customers from receiving their loved ones' remains.
William Suggs' father, Claude Suggs, died Jan. 15. He said he trusted 53-year-old Richard Mosley, a friend who owned the funeral home, to have his father cremated. Suggs said he was told it would take three to four weeks before his father's remains would be back.
After two months, he has yet to get his father's remains and said he's been on an emotional roller coaster since police told him the state funeral board shut his friend's funeral home down.
"I started talking to Rick, and he just kept giving me the run-around. So I called the magistrate, who referred me to the city police, who said he was being investigated," Suggs said.
The Henderson County Clerk of Criminal Courts Office told FOX Carolina that Mosley faces 16 counts of obtaining goods via false pretense as part of the North Carolina Board of Funeral Services' investigation. The Associated Press reported that Mosley's charges were connected bad checks he wrote and that he was also charged with obtaining embalming chemicals last summer without a proper license.
Mosley said the state funeral home board shut the business down, and they seized everything left inside.
"Our building was seized by the landlord, and we were not able to get back in the building to get any files or anything in there," Mosley said. "The local police department advised us it was a civil matter. I explained (that) to Mr. Suggs."
Hendersonville police said the case of missing remains is under investigation, and no charges have been filed in reference to Suggs' claims.
Copyright 2013 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Wednesday, June 19 2013 11:01 AM EDT2013-06-19 15:01:14 GMT
Cell phone records show the young woman who vanished just blocks away from her Tempe apartment over the weekend made a phone call before she disappeared. Adrienne Salinas, 19, hasn't been seen or heardMore >
Cell phone records show the young woman who vanished just blocks away from her Tempe apartment over the weekend made a phone call before she disappeared.More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 3:36 PM EDT2013-06-19 19:36:55 GMT
Gun threat at Arizona Mills Mall
A gun threat forced the evacuation of Arizona Mills Mall Tuesday night. A caller told 911 that someone was pointing a gun at theater-goers while they were watching a movie. The scene is unfolding andMore >
A caller told 911 that someone pointed a gun at theater-goers while they were watching the new 'Superman' movie.More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 4:58 PM EDT2013-06-19 20:58:02 GMT
The man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years inside his west side is due in court this morning. Ariel Castro will go before Judge Michael Russo at 8:30 a.m. on nearlyMore >
With his head hanging down, suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro went before a judge on Wednesday morning.
Castro refused to make eye contact with anyone, but did answer the judge when questioned. He provided a simple answer of 'yes' when asked normal questions about the proceedings. More >
Friday, May 31 2013 8:01 PM EDT2013-06-01 00:01:34 GMT
A bus driver loses his job over a Facebook post. Here's hold it unfolded. The last week of school in Haralson County, a student told driver Johnny Cook he was hungry, that didn't get to eat lunch at HaralsonMore >
A bus driver recently lost his job over a Facebook post. More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 1:40 PM EDT2013-06-19 17:40:44 GMT
Jesus Cabrera Molina (Source: CBS 5 News)
A judge has denied bond for man believed involved in the hit-and-run death of a Phoenix police officer.Police say 24-year-old Jesus Cabrera Molina is being held on suspicion of manslaughter and leavingMore >
Maricopa County court officials said Jesus Cabrera Molina, 24, pleaded not guilty to charges of manslaughter and leaving the scene of the crash in the hit-and-run death of a Phoenix police officer.More >