Photo of the souvenir grenade. (Source: Mesa Police Department)
It was spotted during a luggage scan. (Source: Mesa Police Department)
MESA, AZ (CBS5/AP) -
Authorities on Tuesday released photos of the souvenir grenade that caused a scare at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport on Sunday.
An alarm went off when a piece of luggage passed through the scanner containing what looked like a suspicious device.
Security officers were scanning luggage from an Allegiant flight when they spotted the device just after 2:45 p.m.
The airport baggage area was shut down and officers from Mesa Police Department's bomb squad were deployed.
Lt. Kevin Kazmaier is a bomb tech with 30 years of service under his belt at the Mesa Police Department. He told CBS 5 the X-ray revealed several clues.
"It had a hole in the bottom which would indicate there is no filler in it. A spring that detonates the grenade was also missing," said Kazmaier.
The device ended up being a non-functioning grenade souvenir. Police said a man believed to be in his late 50s told investigators that he had purchased it at an antique shop in Scottsdale. The man told police he was going to use it as a paper weight.
Airport spokesman Brian Sexton said Sunday's discovery caused the airport's luggage inspection to stop for about an hour, but it didn't force the delay or cancellation of any flights.
There was no word from the TSA whether the couple who owned the souvenir would be fined.
Tuesday, September 16 2014 3:44 PM EDT2014-09-16 19:44:44 GMT
Phoenix city leaders are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst as a new flash flood watch is posted for mid-week.More >
A rainbow over the Superstition Mountains late Monday afternoon sets the stage for some significant changes to come. A flash flood watch is in effect in advance of abundant tropical moisture headed this way. More >
Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:01 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:01:09 GMT
A sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys.More >
CBS 5 News sent a sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys, a black mold that can produce toxic spores.More >