A man has died after the car he was driving plunged into a neighborhood pond and nearly sank, trapping him and a passenger inside early Thursday morning.
Police say when the car hit the water, it immediately flipped over and dropped to the bottom of a neighborhood pond, off Merlane Drive in Northeast Charlotte.
Around 3 a.m., neighbors heard a frantic knock on her door from a woman covered in scratches.
She was able to escape the wreck but a man inside the vehicle was trapped underneath it. All that could be seen of the car was the rear wheel and the back, left fender. The rest of the car was completely under water.
Charlotte firefighters, as well as the specialized dive team, raced to the scene and were able to free the trapped man, later identified as Lewis Brice-Simms, 26. Officials say he was in the submerged vehicle for approximately 20 minutes.
He and the female passenger, who had minor injuries, were taken to Carolinas Medical Center.
Brice-Simms died at the hospital just before 11:30 a.m. Friday.
Police said the pair had just returned from a party when the brakes on their car failed, sending the vehicle careening out of control and into the water.
Officials also said that evidence of alcohol use was found on the scene and inside the vehicle.
Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:32 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:32:43 GMT
Phoenix city leaders are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst as a new flash flood watch is posted for mid-week.More >
A rainbow over the Superstition Mountains late Monday afternoon sets the stage for some significant changes to come. A flash flood watch is in effect in advance of abundant tropical moisture headed this way. More >
Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:01 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:01:09 GMT
A sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys.More >
CBS 5 News sent a sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys, a black mold that can produce toxic spores.More >