Residents across Connecticut are being warned to take steps to prevent any accidents involving carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is often called the silent killer because it's an odorless and invisible gas. With this storm, doctors are expecting to get patients feeling the effects.
"We have certainly had a few patients wander in here concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning," said Dr. Michael Gutman of Urgent Care New England. "Their alarms had gone off."
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, wood, oil, kerosene or charcoal are burned. If it's used the right way, the levels aren't hazardous. But it's when fuels aren't used the right way, dangerous levels could spike.
Gutman said hundreds have died from carbon monoxide poisoning while others experience flu-like symptoms.
"So we'll get headaches and chest pain from not enough oxygen to the heart muscle," he said.
While no one can smell carbon monoxide, the most common symptoms are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.
People using generators are being advised to keep their homes ventilated. All vents on the home should remain cleared if they became clogged with snow.
Yankee Gas has made the following video to help explain the hazards of carbon monoxide.
Residents are being reminded to make sure your vehicle's exhaust pipe is also cleared of any snow or ice.
Other tips for avoiding CO poisoning include:
Don't start your car in your garage, even if the garage door is open. Fumes can build up quickly
Don't use a gas oven to heat your home, even for just a short amount of time.
Don't use a charcoal or gas grills indoors.
Don't sleep in a room with an unvented gas space heater.
Make sure dryer, furnace and stove vents are cleared of snow build up.
Generators should also be outside your home and away from windows, doors and vents.
Doctors recommend that Connecticut residents should have carbon monoxide detectors at their homes and people should test the batteries once a month.
If the detector ever goes off, residents should immediately call their local fire department.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Thursday, December 5 2013 10:46 PM EST2013-12-06 03:46:19 GMT
Andrew Gajkowski (Source: Maricopa County Sheriff's Office)
A traffic stop led to the discovery a drug manufacturing operation near the Arizona State University campus Wednesday evening.More >
Detectives obtained search warrants for Andrew Gajkowski's home in Goodyear and for his apartment near Apache and Rural roads in Tempe, according to DPS authorities. Four other people have been arrested in connection with the case.More >
Friday, November 8 2013 12:57 PM EST2013-11-08 17:57:21 GMT
A Lebanon father of three is accused of drugging one of his children in order to have sex with her young friend, according to court documents. Robert Chesters, 42, was arrested after having a relationshipMore >
ALebanonfather of three is accused of drugging one of his children in order to have sex with her young friend, according to court documents.More >
Mesa detectives say they're questioning three men in a Halloween murder that took place on the 300 block of Harmony Street in Mesa.Mesa Police say three men in Tennessee, who have been in jail on unrelatedMore >
The victim, 36-year-old Brian Weathers, was found bleeding in a driveway on Harmony Street in Mesa. Neighbors say it appears he stumbled there from an alley.More >
Thursday, December 5 2013 8:33 PM EST2013-12-06 01:33:05 GMT
A Hopi High School football player who scored his team's only touchdown in a state playoff game died of blunt force trauma to his head. That's the determination of the Maricopa County Office of the MedicalMore >
A Hopi High School football player who scored his team's only touchdown in a state playoff game died of blunt force trauma to his head.More >