A gas leak caused the evacuation of 200 to 300 people in a three city block area around Spring Street early Monday evening.
"A firefighter came to the building and on the intercom told everyone to evacuate," Charlie Ibarra said.
"It was pretty scary," Rosemarie Morales said. "The minute they told me about the gas leak I started shaking."
The incident happened around 4 p.m.
"There's a construction site down the street and a piece of heavy equipment struck a main in the road," said Dennis Ledger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner.
Crews from Columbia Gas responded immediately, and a heavy police and fire presence could be seen throughout the area.
Many residents told CBS 3 that this incident feels all too familiar. In November 2010, a gas leak caused an explosion on Worthington Street, only a few blocks away.
The area was given the all clear around 5:30 p.m.
The incident remains under investigation.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.