A surprise announcement from Wednesday is now official. The military is ending its ban on women serving in combat. Thursday afternoon, Defense Secretary Leon Pannetta and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs General Martin Dempsey signed the order. Pannetta said not everyone has the qualifications to be a combat soldier, but everyone should be given the chance.
"I think that for so long enlisted females have already been doing the job that the military is just now going to technically allow us to do," said 2nd Lt. Sunny Walker of Fort Campbell.
Walker said she's already been pushed forward to the front line as a combat medic. Even with her experience, she said Thursday was history.
"Every female just wants to serve their country the best that they can, and this is going to allow us to do that," said Walker.
"Honestly, if a girl's running down the street and passes guys, the guys are going to speed up and run faster," added Capt. Heidi Miller of Fort Campbell. "I think this news is great. It's going to push guys to work harder as well."
Walking through the crowds at the Hiring our Heroes job fair at LP Field Thursday, applicants of varying military backgrounds had different takes on the news.
Bettie Hoard, a 25-year veteran, said she believes it's the wrong move.
"Infantry, no," said Hoard. "We're just not made to work the front line. The men will be too concerned with trying to protect us."
Renee Bobb, who served in the Navy for five years, said this is a day she's long waited to see.
"This is an opportunity to be on the front line and actually show the talent and skills that we have," said Bobb. "Regardless of our gender, we're able to stand up and do the same thing that men can do. It's very exciting."
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Local soldiers react to lifting of women in combat banMore>>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 11:01 AM EDT2013-06-19 15:01:14 GMT
Cell phone records show the young woman who vanished just blocks away from her Tempe apartment over the weekend made a phone call before she disappeared. Adrienne Salinas, 19, hasn't been seen or heardMore >
Cell phone records show the young woman who vanished just blocks away from her Tempe apartment over the weekend made a phone call before she disappeared.More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 3:36 PM EDT2013-06-19 19:36:55 GMT
Gun threat at Arizona Mills Mall
A gun threat forced the evacuation of Arizona Mills Mall Tuesday night. A caller told 911 that someone was pointing a gun at theater-goers while they were watching a movie. The scene is unfolding andMore >
A caller told 911 that someone pointed a gun at theater-goers while they were watching the new 'Superman' movie.More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 4:58 PM EDT2013-06-19 20:58:02 GMT
The man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years inside his west side is due in court this morning. Ariel Castro will go before Judge Michael Russo at 8:30 a.m. on nearlyMore >
With his head hanging down, suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro went before a judge on Wednesday morning.
Castro refused to make eye contact with anyone, but did answer the judge when questioned. He provided a simple answer of 'yes' when asked normal questions about the proceedings. More >
Friday, May 31 2013 8:01 PM EDT2013-06-01 00:01:34 GMT
A bus driver loses his job over a Facebook post. Here's hold it unfolded. The last week of school in Haralson County, a student told driver Johnny Cook he was hungry, that didn't get to eat lunch at HaralsonMore >
A bus driver recently lost his job over a Facebook post. More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 1:40 PM EDT2013-06-19 17:40:44 GMT
Jesus Cabrera Molina (Source: CBS 5 News)
A judge has denied bond for man believed involved in the hit-and-run death of a Phoenix police officer.Police say 24-year-old Jesus Cabrera Molina is being held on suspicion of manslaughter and leavingMore >
Maricopa County court officials said Jesus Cabrera Molina, 24, pleaded not guilty to charges of manslaughter and leaving the scene of the crash in the hit-and-run death of a Phoenix police officer.More >