Stonington public works crews head to Misquamicut to help with storm cleanup
By WFSB Staff
STONINGTON, CT (WFSB) -
Public works crews from Connecticut are headed across the Rhode Island border to help with the cleanup at Misquamicut Beach following the damage left by Hurricane Sandy.
Hurricane Sandy caused devastation throughout Misquamicut Beach with it leveling homes and pushing an estimated 150,000 cubic yards of sand in from the shoreline.
Crews in Westerly needed help to make a Dec. 8 deadline where all the debris had to be cleaned up. FEMA allowed them a 30-day window for reimbursement, according to city officials.
"The more hands you have the easier the job goes," said Mark Altobelli of Westerly Public Works.
For the past week, Stonington volunteered a public works crew to come over to Westerly to help with the debris removal and cleanup efforts.
"Its great that everybody works together as a group because we all share the Misquamicut Beach," Altobelli said. "And we got to put our beach back together, so it means a lot to us that these guys are helping us out."
On Thursday, crews created more than 6,000 pounds of wood chips.
"Well, my tree is half the size it used to be and there was debris everywhere," said Paul Vuona of Westerly.
Vuona said he considers himself lucky to still have a house. There is still a lot of cleaning left to do. He said watching these crews help out from out of town gives him faith.
"You have these people come from all over the place," Vuona said. "They stop doing their daily life and they come here and they help."
Hurricane Sandy changed the landscape of Misquamicut Beach and left big piles of sand along the shore. The piles are expected to be reprocessed and then redistributed to the beaches by springtime.
Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Wednesday, June 19 2013 11:01 AM EDT2013-06-19 15:01:14 GMT
Cell phone records show the young woman who vanished just blocks away from her Tempe apartment over the weekend made a phone call before she disappeared. Adrienne Salinas, 19, hasn't been seen or heardMore >
Cell phone records show the young woman who vanished just blocks away from her Tempe apartment over the weekend made a phone call before she disappeared.More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 3:36 PM EDT2013-06-19 19:36:55 GMT
Gun threat at Arizona Mills Mall
A gun threat forced the evacuation of Arizona Mills Mall Tuesday night. A caller told 911 that someone was pointing a gun at theater-goers while they were watching a movie. The scene is unfolding andMore >
A caller told 911 that someone pointed a gun at theater-goers while they were watching the new 'Superman' movie.More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 4:58 PM EDT2013-06-19 20:58:02 GMT
The man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years inside his west side is due in court this morning. Ariel Castro will go before Judge Michael Russo at 8:30 a.m. on nearlyMore >
With his head hanging down, suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro went before a judge on Wednesday morning.
Castro refused to make eye contact with anyone, but did answer the judge when questioned. He provided a simple answer of 'yes' when asked normal questions about the proceedings. More >
Friday, May 31 2013 8:01 PM EDT2013-06-01 00:01:34 GMT
A bus driver loses his job over a Facebook post. Here's hold it unfolded. The last week of school in Haralson County, a student told driver Johnny Cook he was hungry, that didn't get to eat lunch at HaralsonMore >
A bus driver recently lost his job over a Facebook post. More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 1:40 PM EDT2013-06-19 17:40:44 GMT
Jesus Cabrera Molina (Source: CBS 5 News)
A judge has denied bond for man believed involved in the hit-and-run death of a Phoenix police officer.Police say 24-year-old Jesus Cabrera Molina is being held on suspicion of manslaughter and leavingMore >
Maricopa County court officials said Jesus Cabrera Molina, 24, pleaded not guilty to charges of manslaughter and leaving the scene of the crash in the hit-and-run death of a Phoenix police officer.More >