As many as 105 inmates at the state prison west of Phoenix may have been exposed to Hepatitis C because medication was administered with a dirty needle.
Wexford Health Sources said a contracted nurse violated the basic infection-control protocols.
Prison officials said inmates at the Arizona State Prison Complex-Lewis in Buckeye who were exposed have been notified and are currently being screened for infectious diseases.
Hepatitis C is a viral disease that leads to inflammation of the liver.
The nurse, who was not a Wexford Health employee, had been assigned to work at the prison complex by a local staffing agency.
A statement issued by Wexford Health Sources said, "In addition to suspending the individual, Wexford Health has banned the nurse from working under any of its contracts in the future. Wexford also reported the nurse to the state nursing board for investigation; and has requested that the staffing agency employing the nurse do the same."
Wexford Health said, "at no time was the same syringe used on more than one patient. No staff members were exposed as a result of the incident."
An independent laboratory will provide continued medical monitoring and testing of these potentially exposed inmates over the next several months, officials with Wexford Health Sources said.
Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Tuesday, September 16 2014 3:50 PM EDT2014-09-16 19:50:15 GMT
Phoenix city leaders are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst as a new flash flood watch is posted for mid-week.More >
A rainbow over the Superstition Mountains late Monday afternoon sets the stage for some significant changes to come. A flash flood watch is in effect in advance of abundant tropical moisture headed this way. More >
Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:01 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:01:09 GMT
A sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys.More >
CBS 5 News sent a sample of ceiling sheet rock, provided by Laguna Village resident Jessica Ford, to Southeast Environmental Microbiology Laboratories – where it tested positive for stachybotrys, a black mold that can produce toxic spores.More >