A mechanic has died from severe burns he suffered after a truck he was working on caught fire at a Phoenix business Thursday night.
Bob Boyle, who was described in his 50s, suffered burns over 90 percent of his body and died overnight, according to Michael Murphy with Maricopa Medical Center.
The fire started at about 7:15 p.m. Thursday at M & P Contracting, near 28th Avenue and Osborn Road.
M & P Contracting offers trucking and hauling services in Phoenix and surrounding cities, according to its website.
Scott McDonald, with the Phoenix Fire Department, said the blaze started when Boyle was working on a dump truck at the business.
"This is a big shop full of transmission fluid, oil drums, 55-gallon drums of solvents, break cleaners, everything you could imagine in a mechanic type of shop. Once that flashed, then the rest of the shop got going," McDonald said.
Fire officials moved people a block away from the fire for fear of explosions.
Multiple trucks were burned.
No other buildings were damaged.
McDonald said he has no cause yet on the fire.
Stay with cbs5az.com and CBS 5 News as this story develops.
Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Sunday, July 27 2014 10:19 PM EDT2014-07-28 02:19:04 GMT
NWS: Macroburst hit north Phoenix with 100 mph winds
A macroburst with winds in excess of 100 mph hit north Phoenix Saturday night, snapping power poles, toppling trees and cutting power to 33,000 utility customers, the National Weather Service said.More >
Intense macrobursts can cause tornado-force damage of up to F3 intensity, the National Weather Service said after it confirmed the event. The Paradise Valley Hospital sustained rooftop damage.More >
Friday, July 25 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-07-25 10:54:07 GMT
Leaders of Oasis Church say they received more than 1,000 inquiries about the free house, but those interested say it would cost too much to move the structure.More >
A free house offer fell through for a Pascagoula church. Last month, WLOX reported that Oasis Church wanted to find a good home for an old house. Leaders posted the house on social media and Craigslist. The post went viral, but there were no takers. So this week, the house came crashing down.More >