For the second consecutive day, hoarders are being blamed for a destructive fire in the Valley.
Phoenix firefighters said the fire broke out just before 8 a.m. Wednesday in a storage unit next to a decrepit house. The fire was so intense that additional fire units were called.
Firefighters said the storage unit, the house and a nearby mobile home were in the area of Cave Creek Road and 21st Street. The structures had water, but no electricity connected, and part of the home's roof was missing. They said the storage unit was packed full of various and flammable items.
"I'm speechless, really. I can't believe it's all gone," said Joan Schroder, who lived in the mobile home.
Schroder said she had just finished hanging up laundry back to the trailer when she heard an explosion and saw "black, black smoke and fire."
The 9,000-square-foot storage unit was on fire. Inside were antiques from various estate sales, as well as "propane tanks and paint and some chemicals," Schroder said.
"There were some explosions after we pulled up," said Battalion Chief Jim Arbagey of the Phoenix Fire Department. "We had reports of explosions prior to the crews' arrival."
Firefighters said the house on the property was not livable. It was missing part of its roof, though firefighters were able to contain the fire to the adjacent storage building.
But Schroder said there's another reason she chose to live in the trailer rather than the home.
"There's ghosts, you know? They get attached to these things and, yeah, they're in the house."
Fire crews say all the stuff stored on the property made fighting the fire extremely difficult.
"There's just a lot of stuff underneath this that just makes it real difficult," Arbagey said. "There's a lot of debris, a lot of metal. It's dangerous for them to work around."
But crews said the call was a success for one simple reason: "Nobody was hurt," Arbagey said.
Firefighters had to battle more than flames during a fire at a hoarder's home in Tempe near Mill Avenue and University Drive on Tuesday morning.
Aluminum cans stacked more than 2 feet high and newspapers stacked to the ceiling forced firefighters to evacuate the home during their initial attack on the fire, said Michael J. Reichling, of the Tempe Fire Department.
The owner was not inside during the fire, which was called in just after 12:30 a.m., Reichling said.
The initial cause of the fire was a space heater the owner said he had left it on in the living room area, Reichling said.
Copyright 2012 KPHO (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, May 24 2013 12:29 PM EDT2013-05-24 16:29:51 GMT
Every week, CBS 5 News is sent a list of restaurants that have been recently inspected by Maricopa County's Environmental Services Department. CBS 5 News selects five restaurants with some of the highestMore >
Every week, CBS 5 News is sent a list of restaurants that have been recently inspected by Maricopa County's Environmental Services Department.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 11:43 AM EDT2013-05-23 15:43:24 GMT
Fallen officer's daughter graduates from kindergarten
Hundreds of Phoenix police officers showed their support for a fallen colleague by attending his daughter's kindergarten graduation in Anthem on Wednesday. Officer Daryl Raetz was killed in the lineMore >
Tatum Raetz, 5, graduated from kindergarten in Anthem Wednesday and hundreds of uniformed Phoenix police officers were there to show their support for the family.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 12:39 PM EDT2013-05-23 16:39:28 GMT
Dan Marco's son was murdered in 2010. (Source: CBS 5 News)
Only people who have lost a close loved one can understand the pain of Travis Alexander's family"My heart goes out to them, because I understand," says Dan Marco, who's son Zachary was murdered in 2010.ZacharyMore >
Only people who have lost a close loved one can understand the pain of Travis Alexander's family.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 2:31 AM EDT2013-05-24 06:31:07 GMT
Jodi Arias (Source: CBS 5 News)
It is now in the hands of the 12 jurors to decide if Jodi Arias will live her life behind bars or if she'll be executed. The defense and prosecution gave their closing statement Tuesday afternoon andMore >
The judge has declared a mistrial in the penalty phase of the Jodi Arias trial. The jury announced late Thursday afternoon that they could not reach a unanimous decision on life or death for Arias.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 1:33 PM EDT2013-05-23 17:33:26 GMT
Remember the Kmart's "Ship My Pants" ad? Well Kmart isn't finished with their controversial ads. The company launched their latest video about Big Gas Savings on Thursday. It even features the sameMore >
The company launched their latest video about "big gas savings" on Thursday.More >